(a brief description of the topics)
- A few words about the history of orchid cultivation and of its first references
and classifications. The dissemination of the epiphytic orchids after the discovery
of the new world by Europeans.
- A brief explanation about the use of orchids as medicines, aphrodisiacs infusion
and magic potions from the third century BC to the present.
- Orchid localization and characteristics. Lists of genera and species. Native
orchids that are well adapted to Rio de Janeiro city conditions.
Care and Tips
- The 5 main factors that influence the growth and the development of the orchids:
Watering, light, temperature, ventilation and food.
- Blooming seasons of well known species. All References are to the southern hemisphere.
- Short texts about their origins and tips on cultivation for Vanda, Cattleya,
Dendrobium and Laelia purpurata.
- Coverage and informations about the World Orchid Conferences.
- A gallery of wonderful photos of many species. To view the orchids in a larger
format, click on the photos.
- Links to many sites of orchidofile interest: societies, personal sites, commercial
growers, search sites and botanical gardens.
- For you to sign in and send a message, a comment or a criticism or your suggestion.
- People who cooperated in the creation of this site.
- If you don't want to use the Guest-book, can contact us here.
Find your orchid
- An interactive, easy and fast way to find the proper orchid for your environment.
You answer some questions about the your environment you have and suitable orchids
will be listed, some with photo (almost 200 photos).
Orchid Art Gallery
- Artistic creations of orchids listed in five show rooms: paintings, illustrations,
wall tiles, ceramics and photos.
- Promoting events related to orchids: shows, expositions, panels and more. If
you desire to promote an event, please email us.
To unpretentious beginners
- Tips to beginners who are not interested in getting deep into cultivation.
- Here you will find photos and basic information about more than 200 orchids.
including preferred conditions.
Anatomy of an orchid
- An interactive way to identify the parts of the flower: Petals, sepals and so
- Magazine with interviews, relevant works or events. Exhibitions of orchids produced
by amateur growers or by commercial greenhouses.
Orchids by state
- Click on the state desired on the map of Brazil and a list of its native orchids
will be shown.
- A listing of books on Brazilian species, short reviews and purchasing information.